Lymphatic Drainage Massage (LDM) relaxes the nervous system and aids the body’s natural defence, the immune system.
How can LDM help you?
- Reduce fluid retention (swollen ankles, puffy eyes, swollen legs)
- Improve conditions such as sinusitis, arthritis, acne and other skin conditions
- Increase performance of immune system
- Improve post-operative healing
- Relieve swelling after surgery
- Promote scar tissue healing – torn ligaments and sprains
- Reduce scarring and stretch marks
- Promote anti-ageing
- Reduce chronic pain
- Relieve constipation
- Treatment of lymphodema
- Improve chronic conditions such as sinusitis, arthritis, acne and other skin conditions
- Deep relaxation
- Reduce general tiredness
- Highly recommended for those prone to/recovering from sore throats, colds, infections
- Assist the elderly and physically inactive
LDM aims to decongest, and enhance the flow of the body’s lymphatic fluid. It is a particularly light and gentle form of bodywork that cleanses, relaxes and energises the body.
The lymphatic system acts as our front line of defence in fighting bodily infections, transporting metabolic wastes, excess water, bacteria and toxins out of the body.
The lymph nodes located at the neck, armpits and groin are connected by a broad network of vessels which transport the lymphatic fluid. Unlike the circulatory system, which uses the heart as a pump, the lymphatic system does not have a pump and is dependent upon muscle movement. Hence why this technique is extremely beneficial for those that are physically inactive.
If you have any questions about LDM and how it may assist you, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Lymphatic fluid moves very slowly and gently throughout our body, at only around 100mls per hour! Hence lymphatic drainage massage is applied in a very slow manner to encourage and support lymph movement. For a lymphatic drainage massage I would recommend an appointment time of at least 90mins to optimise maximum benefit. If you are experiencing swelling in the lower regions such as legs, ankles and feet, a 90 minute session is ideal. If you require other areas to be included, I would advise to book in for 2 hours.